Monday, November 12, 2007

Impediments

You know what I hate? Blockage. Constipation. Build up. Word stumps.

I'm feeling stuck. Ugh. (See. I just typed letters that aren't an actual word...merely gutteral noises.) I think I am suffering from writer's block...or something related to it that is far less glamorous.

I think it may be the all consuming domesticity of life right now. My washer has died a fiery death, replete with smoke and electrical smell, and so our laundry sits in ever expanding mounds. I'm going to require cramp ons and pick axes and a well thought out pair of shoes to get to get to the bottom by the time we have figured out whether to invest more money into the dang contraption that has broken down for the third time in it's four year history, or if we should bite the bullet and buy a replacement.

Meanwhile, I have packed all of our fall decorations away...a full week ahead of Thanksgiving. I couldn't stand the clutter anymore. This is a little disconserting, as my varietal pumpkins and candles in ochre hues only breathed the the fresh air for little more than 4 weeks. But they are gone, and I have wiped away the dust and situated the furniture so that my mind can breathe again, and hopefully receive the inspiration of the coming holidays on a clean slate.

I apologize for *dumping* this on dear readers, when I am scheduled to be writing about what I am grateful for. Youthful Tribute. I'd like to reschedule, if I may.

And on an overtly ironic note, dear Julie Pippert has honored me with a Thinking Blogger Award. I am alternately humbled and embarassed by her generosity. Humbled because she is one of the great and thoughtful writers in this medium and to be singled out by her is a lovely distinction. Embarrassed because of my current and unsightly affliction. That and she is so fluent and has probably not ever uttered the words "writer's block." In fact, I was just perusing Emily's latest entry, where Julie remarked on her difficulty of "...thinking in quantities of 1200 words or less. LOL"

So, I'm off to indulge in your words for a while. If you have any advice on how to whet my pen (keyboard just doesn't sound as good) and conquer my dry spell. Please direct me.

With gratitude.
Emily.

9 comments:

Julie Pippert said...

You are welcome...it is deserved. Really!

And of course I've felt this way...stuck, resistant to a feeling of obligation to write, at a loss for getting my actual point across, blocked, etc. Not to mention sucked dry in other areas of life.

But I've had enough classes/advice and have hammered enough authors in my time to know it never looks as bad as it feels, to take a break if I feel that need bone deep, and then to just push through the "pain."

See? You have an interesting post here.

:)

Julie
Using My Words

painted maypole said...

i find that if I just stop thinking about what to write and go live my life, something comes.

and you just reminded me that it is Tuesday. We'll see if something else of mine blows up, or if your washer really was my third thing. ;) I'm sorry it's giving you such a hard time.

Lori said...

Well, considering I just posted a picture of my son's school project... I'm not sure I am the best one to give advice.

I love reading anything you write. Mundane, profound, somewhere in between... it is all the stuff of life.

Emily said...

Oh, baby, we all have those days. And the best way to deal with them is to take some serious time off. Fast from writing for a few days or a few weeks till you CANNOT keep yourself from writing again. Tell yourself you cannot write for two weeks, and within ten days you'll be banging on the door, desperate to get to the keyboard.

Christine said...

this made me want to cry and i can't put my finger on why. . .

anyway--take it easy on yourself. you should write when you can and what you want. i'll always come back.

Hannah said...

OK, I just wrote a comment and it looked like it posted, but then it didn't.

Just remember - you started this blog for you, not for us. Write when you can, when you're moved to, when you want to. We'll be here when you get back.

slouching mom said...

Even posting about having writer's block is writing, and fine writing at that!

sex scenes at starbucks said...

Read read read. Write write write. I write shitty stuff all the time, waiting for the good stuff to come along behind. That's discipline.

Write at the same time everyday, too; routine helps.

Furrow said...

my posts are far from profound, so I can't give any great advice, but I agree with Emily that if you just tell yourself you're going to take some time off (even tell us that), you'll find yourself burning with something to say before you know it. It always happens to me. Whenever I've said that I'll be away for a while because I have nothing to say, I'm always right back at it. But you do have to mean it at the time. That's the tricky part.