Monday, June 23, 2008

There is nothing better than birthday cake. It's like a slice of concentrated love with buttercream frosting.

-Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata




In looking through my archives, I've noticed how very little I have written about my ten year old daughter in this space.


Not for a lack of interesting personality tics on her part, I think it's because,of my three daughters (ages: 11, 10, and 2,) she is the peace maker, easy going, understanding and longsuffering. Posting about how my daughter, "almost had an argument with me today, but thought better of it and did what I asked, anyway..." would make for a less than thrilling read for those of you who have 12-second-blog-reading-intervals.



I also think she is sparingly documented here because subconsciously I consider her to be the most like me. Writing about her would be redundant, because I so often write about me.

But that's not really true. She is sublimely separate from me, creative in ways I can only hope to imitate.

This fall, she wrote a story about a witch who messed up a candy recipe on Halloween and inadvertently turned her whole neighborhood into dragonflies. The witch is so clumsy and cute, she makes your teeth ache.

In early April, she began hinting, mentioning, discussing at length, her tenth birthday...in mid June.

She wanted a Vintage Japanese theme. She'd like to have Japanese food, paper lanterns, parasols, and Cherry Blossoms. And a Candy Bar.

She told me to "run with it."

And I did...after some rather intensive Google searches and desperate phone calls to my sister. I bought orchids for this party, rather than balloons. ((I think that will be a new tradition: Flowers in lieu of latex. However, I have most decidedly cornered the market on the Neighborhood Crazy Plant Lady.))






Happy Birthday, my darling L.
Birthday Pancakes are a tradition around this house. We subscribe to the idea that one should eat cake for every meal on your birthday.






9 comments:

Alpha DogMa said...

What a sophisticated birthday theme! And L. is sooo beautiful.

painted maypole said...

i love it! (and you know I LOVE theme parties!)

Happy 10th, L, from one June birthday girl to another!

sex scenes at starbucks said...

Yea, happy birthday L!!!!!!! See ya tomorrow.

word ver: foevh (say it out loud)

the dragonfly said...

Happy birthday L!! It looks like a lovely party! :)

Lorelai Roark Photography & Design said...

the title to the post is one of the best quotes i've ever read! Happy Birthday! thanks for visiting mine!

laura - dolcepics said...

Happy Birthday to your middle child (I'm a middle child!). What an exquisite party! Wow!! I can't even imagine throwing something like that. I love how she said you can "run with it"! haha

Hannah said...

Love the way the party turned out - it's so classy. And I will be appropriating the cake at every meal idea.

laura - dolcepics said...

Emily, you have such nice photos! I can't believe you haven't already posted one on SS! You definitely should!

Furrow said...

Vintage Japanese? Oh my goodness. Your ten-year-old is so much more sophisticated than I. She's lovely.