Monday, October 13, 2008

A day in the life::Morning edition

Today. Today, we are playing along with Mrs. G's Average Day.
My average day usually begins yesterday. Ever since The Babe was born 2 1/2 years ago, I have a super hard time falling asleep and staying that way. I am usually writing, reading, or flipping through infomercials in the wee hours.
Mornings are my favorite. I love the colors in my house bathed in the early morning light (So much so that I can overlook the fingerprinted windows, carpet crumbles, and the thin layer of dust that's inevitably illuminated.) Here are some hilights from this very morning. Notably not pictured are my 2 elder daughters. The first part of the morning is consumed with lunch making, teeth brushing, adolescent bathroom territory disputes and treaties (replete with thrown elbows), last minute parent signatures on school forms due last Thursday, etc... Photos were not taken until after they left for school. Whew.

Early morning snow melted on the petals of the roses leaving them jewel encrusted.


And the fog lent an appropriately October spooky air to the morning.



First breakfast She's very serious about Sesame Street.

Always waiting for me.

Thankfully so is this.

A little early morning channeling of one's inner Monet

Time for second breakfast...

23 comments:

Deirdre said...

What a great morning -- I love those rainy grey foggy mornings. Coffee always tastes better, I think.

Thanks for sharing!

jenontheedge said...

What lovely photos! I like the way you view the world.

Saucy said...

Your photos are gorgeous. I love the one of her watching The Street (which I also happen to take quite seriously).

g said...

A very gentle, wonderful day. I love her serious look, watching Sesame Street.

also the flowers misted with rain.

flutter said...

oh my God. gorgeous

imbeingheldhostage said...

What a gorgeous morning, and a fun glimpse. Your photos are spectacular!

Furrow said...

What a beautiful day. We like early mornings around here, too.

Southern Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Southern Girl said...

In which region do you live that "jewel encrusted" petals are already a reality? Brrr. I love that description, by the way...(:

Lori said...

I love this!

I'm glad you clarified this was after the older girls left for school otherwise I would say your mornings are entirely too peaceful. My "after they leave for school" mornings are very similar though. Right now Pumpkin is enjoying a little string cheese while reclining on Mama's bed watching a little morning TV, and I am working (ahem) on the newsletter for a local non-profit. Or, not.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

What about 2nd breakfast, I always loved that line! And I also love her cute little bed head hair :)

Your average day doesn't seem very average to me! I really like the pic of the lone tree. I hope you'll do this more often.....

Emily said...

Yes. That child has some rockin' bed head. Her hair is like spun silk and no amount of deep conditioning can convince it to do anything but *that* in the morning.

dkuroiwa said...

Yeah...serious bed head on an absolutely darling little one!
I'm loving the pumpkin watching over everything and your table arrangements!
Though your Colorado and my Colorado are a bit different (you have hills, my part is flaaaaaaat!), it's still home.
Your photos are beautiful!!
debbie

Meadowlark Days said...

I love your plants and the autumn decorations!

Hannah said...

And here I thought I was starving Isaac because he goes for second breakfast every morning... I'm glad to know your beautiful girl does it, too.

I feel like I peeked in the window of your house. Thanks for sharing.

painted maypole said...

great pictures, and I love your house and view!

We always commented that MQ must be a hobbit, because she ate first breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies....

Mama Nomad said...

Oh, you leave me wanting to see more!

ELK said...

emily saw you at SS ~ your home looks busy and filled with love!

you brought back happy memories as my girls are 16 and 20... how fast years went by!

tracey clark said...

each of these is perfectly wonderful! so glad you shared with us at Shutter Sisters today.

the dragonfly said...

Those first photos took my breath away. But wait...did you really say "snow"??! Yikes!

First breakfast and second breakfast, a little hobbit in the making. :)

And laundry is always waiting for me too. It's a never ending cycle. But such is life.

Vanessa said...

What a beautiful blog you have, I am glad I came across it

Mrs. G. said...

How in the world did I miss this the first time around. Your home looks so warm and wonderful. I know all my days would be better if I had that little polka dotted bug rifling through my pantry.

Your comment today? Still laughing.

Jen Ballantyne said...

Dear Emily, I just wanted to pop by to say thanks so much for your supportive comments on my blog. I really appreciate it, especially at this time. I am so glad I did pop by because your photos are just beautiful. I have really enjoyed visiting your blog and will be back. Thanks again Hugs Jen B. xx