Saturday, February 7, 2009

John

Death is only an incident, and not the most important which happens to us in this state of being.
-Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Sometimes greatness is unheralded. Maybe that is what makes someone truly great. That they are selfless and honorable when no one is looking. When no one is talking about it.
My community lost someone great last week.
I am struggling to find the words to honor him.
I will miss seeing his bike and his crusty beard around town. I think I will always hold my breath in anticipation of seeing his face when I step through the door of the coffee shop; a smile and the weather report on his lips. And I will forever look for ways to be kind with his name on my own lips.
Thank you, John. Your little raindrops of kindness have collected and become monsoons of grace...a movement.
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.
-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

7 comments:

painted maypole said...

I'm sorry for your loss

Meadowlark Days said...

I'm sorry to hear about his passing. It sounds like he touched many lives.

sex scenes at starbucks said...

I didn't know him, or even of him, but Carlin said, "Oh my GOD! John! He opened the door for me at Starbucks every day!"

flutter said...

may he rest, gorgeous and whole.

Cat said...

What a wonderful wake to have left in his path... he sounds amazing.

Woman in a Window said...

I don't even know what to say. I feel a little like I knew him, his simple gestures that over time become more than simple afterall.

I hope you're ok. I hope those around him are ok. (I hate this - perpetual losing.)

Lori said...

He sounds like a true treasure. It's heartbreaking when the world keeps losing those who bring the most light. We need more light down here.