Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mornings 25/30

There's a certain Slant of light, Winter Afternoons--
That oppresses, like the Heft of Cathedral Tunes--
-Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) Well, clearly. I don't have a three-story pipe organ lurking in my living room like a great, toothy beast. We are traveling at the moment. This is the organ in the chapel at The Air Force Academy. It is beautiful in imposing and terrifying ways.
Also, it is not a winter afternoon. But it IS always the right moment for Emily Dickinson. And we have been festooning ourselves with scarves and sweaters and hats and rain gear. So, if you squint your eyes, you may be able to convince yourself that your breath is hanging in the air just beyond your nose. Bring on the hot chocolate.

2 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

Oh, I wish it was, I wish I was, hatted and scarved and blowing clouds, still beneath that scary ass organ! How terrifyingly imposing.

flutter said...

I think it's gorgeous