Monday, April 26, 2010

Conjuring Camus' Invincible Summer

I must admit that I have not entirely fallen in love with the spring snows in this high mountain desert. I have been known to let a few expletives slip when raindrops lose their heft and start to flutter to the ground on feathered wings in late April. Damn. But snowfall has a way of softening edges and charming even the crumudgeon-y-est of slumbering sun bathers. It is lovely.
And when it looks like that out...it looks like this within.
Lovely lunches...Castles built in front of fireplaces...
Layers and layers of spring piped into the warmest piles and optimistically displayed on my kitchen table.

****************

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
-Albert Camus (1913-1960)


Domestic (A Project::8)

3 comments:

Furrow said...

I love grape hyacinths.

I would agree that if you have to have an extended winter, it is nicer to do it with snow than with plain old gray chill.

The snow is long past here, but we are having a locust winter, which means it has dipped back down into the 60s.

Lovely photos.

robyn michelle-lee said...

yummy lunch and gorgeous ranunculus! (they are my fave flowers)

deb said...

I'm not sure where how I ended up here whenever ago... or why I hadn't returned,
but I do love this place...
that Camus quote is one of my favourites.